Section 400: Academic Affairs

Effective: February 1, 1980
Revised: August 2016
Review Date: August 2018
Responsible Party: Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs


The following guidelines explain requirements and standards with respect to approval of 192, 292, 392, 492, 592, (Independent Studies).


An Independent Study is an academic project taken by a student working under a faculty member's direction over one semester. An Independent Study is to give a student the opportunity to extend his or her learning through the directed but independent examination of material usually not covered in the regularly covered curriculum. Students can seek approval for an independent study until the last day to add classes for the semester.

The total of Independent Study courses may not exceed a total of 9 credit hours to be counted toward graduation.

Independent Studies Undergraduate Courses.

  1. Under the 192, 292, 392, or 492 numbers a single student pursues independent work under the supervision of a faculty member.
  2. Credit for 192, 292, 392, or 492 will range from 1 to 6 credits.
  3. 192, 292, 392, or 492 should be restricted to students who either major or minor in the department or program area in which it is taken. Under unusual circumstances, however, such as the necessity to complete a single credit of general education in order to graduate, general students may be accommodated.

Independent Studies Graduate Courses.

  1. 592 courses are intended for individual study or research - not for class type instruction or replacement. Permission for graduate students to enroll in 592 work presupposes prior approval by the supervising professor of the project or special study to be undertaken. Such approval should be based on a preliminary plan or proposal of its intended nature, duration, and depth.
  2. Departmental graduate advisors are expected to maintain adequate records of 592 enrollments and credits.
  3. 592 enrollments may range from 1 to 6 credits. Exception to this limitation should be requested by petition to the Dean of the College.